YES! We are going to Namibia in October. Or ‘Nambia’, as Trump likes to say. It is a long time wish for me to go to the Subsaharan part of the world, and I will start in Namibia. I am curious, excited, little bit nervous (wild animals – I will long for Canadian cougars while facing lions, cheetahs, rhinos). We will use this big lady to camp in the wilderness while travelling the country:
Please pray for me and my driving skills.Some facts about Namibia to make you just a little bit smarter:
- Namibia is one of the least populated countries in the world, after Mongolia.
- The first modern genocide found place in Namibia. By Germans, when it was a German colony at the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century. One of the main genocide spots is now a campsite (!) in Luderitz, called Shark Island.
- After the Germans were kicked out, South Africa took over the country from WWI until 1990.
- It is the first African country with broad environmental measures: 40% of the land is protected for its nature.
- Namibia is the only African country at this moment with a female leader: prime minister Saara Kuugongelwa.Okay, now you know a bit more about Namibia.Iris